Monday, August 25, 2014

Beauty in Split Peas

Only the faint sounds of an oxygen machine could be heard in my consciousness as I was shelling peas. I looked up at my great Aunt Mary and a smiled kissed the edges of my mouth. She is such a beautiful woman I told myself as my mom chatted with her. Golden afternoon sun slipped through the cracks of the blinds, making the upstairs room warm but not stuffy. Cool pea pods snapped refreshingly in my hands.

This was the first time I had ever shelled peas, and it wasn't till I was half way through with a bag that I realized something. A thin layer of condensation graced the peas, making the lighter green pop from the dark green, and warm sun lit up the skin just enough so I could see the winding veins twist in their mysterious patterns. The textures of the peas themselves looked almost like velvet while the pod's inside was slick as dew, and that's when it happened.  My breath was taken by the beauty of a split pea pod.

I don't know if something like this has ever happened to you, but I hope it has. A moment in time where your breath is lost over something that is too wonderful for words is such a lovely thing. If this hasn't happened to you, don't worry. I have tried to train my eyes to see little wonders, and your eyes can see them too.

It may sound idealistic, but I wish to see something gorgeous in God's creation at least once-a-day. I know what you're thinking. She'll run out of gorgeous things really quickly. I thought the same as well, but God has never ceased to amaze me. He gives me great joy over the beauty of things like grapes, trees, musical phrases, animals, people, and yes, even pea pods. It's refreshing to your spirit to see God's hands in the "little" things in life, and something can be found every day.

Will you look with me? You won't have to search very hard because most of the time God's beauty is staring us in the face. We just forget to see it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment